You will need:
- Six sheets of paper
- Paper clips
- A stapler
- A coat hanger
What to do:
- Draw a fish shape on one piece of paper. Put the six sheets of paper together with the
fish drawing on top. Use paper clips to hold the sheets of paper securely together.
Cut out the fish shape, cutting through all six pieces of paper.
- Take two of the cut-out fish shapes. Use a few paper clips to hold the shapes
together then staple the shapes together. Staple all around the body but not
across the tail. You will need to use the hole at the tail to stuff the fish with
- Repeat step 2 with the other four fish shapes to make two more fish.
- Tear up sheets of newspaper into strips. Scrunch up the strips and carefully stuff
each fish with them. When each fish is full, staple across the tail to keep the
newspaper stuffing inside.
- Paint the fish any way you like.
- Puncture a hole in the top of each fish. Cut three lengths of string (about 30 cm
long). Attach a fish to one of the pieces of string by threading the string through
the hole in the fish and tying a knot. Tie the other end of the string to the coat
hanger. Repeat this process with the other two fish, then hang up your fish mobile.
Things to try:
- You can make an enormous version of this by cutting fish shapes out of large sheets of
newspaper. Instead of using a coat hanger, use a hoop to hang the fish. It
looks like they are swimming around in a circle.
This page was last updated on 07/10/99.